Sunday, January 27, 2013

Seed Buns!



 Well here is my first attempt at making the seed buns I have been thinking about making for ages now!
I now have my own seed grinder (this coffee grinder) and so make my own ground linseed and ground pumpkin seeds.








And the result is delicious! The texture is really good, grainy, nutty (but no nuts!) and surprisingly bready (for someone who has been deprived for a long time!)

The recipe is as follows:

1 cup seed flour (I did a bit more linseed than pumpkin)
1 tsp bicarbonate
3/4 tsp salt
a dash of raw apple cider vinegar (a tsp?)
1/5 cup olive oil
1/3 cup water
1 tsp chia seeds
1 tsp ground coriander
nearly a tspn of aniseed and fennel spice




Mix the seed flours, chia seeds, bicarbonate and salt. Pour in the olive oil and work with fingers to make a breadcrumb type mixture. Add spices, vinegar and water and mix well with a wooden spoon. The mixture seems dense and spongey at the same time! Very strange, but have confidence!
Spoon into a muffin tray or whatever you have available! I sprinkled fleur de sel onto each one, pressing it down a bit into the dough. You could try to make a focaccia style thin bread - and I reckon it'd make a great crackerbread (guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Experiments!!)
Pre-heat the oven for a few mins then whack them in and cook on high heat for about 15 mins (keep an eye out that they don't burn on the outside). I then continued to cook them on medium heat for about 5 minutes, then turned off the oven and left them in there for about 10 mins more.
This worked out fine for me but EVERY oven is different! They came out beautifully moist (but not wet or squidgy, don't worry!) and did not dry out atall.

I have eaten them with tapenade, on their own (proof that they actually DO TASTE GOOD!!), am confident they would be delicious even with jam despite the spices (delicate flavour) and my 2 year old just ate one with tuna - he had a BIG grin on his cheeky chops :)

So this is a real success and I will be making them again and again, without a doubt!

Hope they work out for you! Enjoy! And let me know your variations/tweaks/ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment/ add your own suggestions or even recipes (with links if you like - let's network darlings! ;D )