Saturday, April 7, 2012

Breads and cakes - So many delicious gluten free recipes - so few I can eat!

There are so many beautiful gluten free sites and blogs out there with such delicious looking recipes! And I still haven't found any breads or cakes that don't have significant amounts of ingredients I am allergic to in! Very frustrating!
Hence the name Food Free - because that is how it feels sometimes, when out of inspiration and trawling the web for some good ideas, somewhere ---at least I am creative enough to usually find at least inspiration, then work out my own solution!
Bread is the main craving and difficulty - bread and cakey stuff....
They always include one of the following (obviously, I do understand that this is what makes them bread and cake!!):
Whole grains / yeast / almond flour / potato starch / milk / butter / eggs / soja / buttermilk / rice flour / sugar / honey etc. etc. 
My main problem being that 'Gluten free flour' is not an option - as it is not technically gluten free! It usually contains some other grain (even if it's just rice or corn) which do contain proteins that are types of gluten - it is just different gluten to those that affect celiac sufferers :(
So I have come up with the closest thing I can to bread - inspired by my Swedish friend, who found a "scone" recipe in an old Swedish cookbook (it does not resemble any English scone recipe I know!!) and adapted it for me! Bless her heart. It was a good experiment and I have been playing with it ever since - there have been about a million more experiments so far!
I have also been obsessively trying to make it sweet and cakey - with unsatisfactory results so far... but getting there!
Check out my Savoury Scones recipes....

No comments:

Post a Comment

feel free to comment/ add your own suggestions or even recipes (with links if you like - let's network darlings! ;D )